Below you’ll find 20 great questions to ask your mum this Mother’s Day. But first, some background. I was reading a book recently and came across a sentence that stopped me cold: “If you see your mother twice a year and she is 75, you’ll probably see her only 25 more times.” The author, Amit Sood, wasn’t trying to be depressing. In fact, it was quite the reverse, he was trying to wake people up to the transience of life and that you should make the most of the time you have with loved ones. When you are with them, really be with them, and value that time.
A fun and meaningful way to spend time with your mum is to interview her. Taking an opportunity to have a deep conversation about her experiences, insights and perspectives is something we rarely do, but can help you feel closer. In fact, no matter how close you are with your mum, I promise that you’ll be surprised about what you learn about her – and yourself – along the way.
At A Life Untold our mission is to make it easy, fun and affordable for absolutely anyone to record their life story. Our process is based on encouraging people to answer 101 thought-provoking questions about their many different “life chapters”. Want to give it a try? Below are just 20 great questions that will start an eye-opening conversation. So this Mother’s Day, why not sit down with her and ask these questions? Don’t forget to record her responses, so they can be shared with the rest of your family! We promise it’ll be one of the most insightful conversations you’ve had with her in a long time.
20 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR MUM
- What’s your favourite: Book, Movie, Musician, Quote, Animal, Word…
- If you could share a meal with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?
- What advice would you give to your 18 year old self?
- If you could click your fingers and make one change in the world, what would it be and why?
- Think back to a major turning point in your life. What happened?
- If you could go back to any age in your life, what age would that be and why?
- How do you define a “good” or “successful” life?
- What’s the best and worst advice that you’ve ever been given?
- How do you feel about getting older?
- What’s one thing you’ve always wanted but still don’t have?
- What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?
- What do you think has stayed the same about you throughout your life? What do you think has changed?
- If you could have just one of these qualities; rich, intelligent or good looking, which would you choose and why?
- What’s your favourite topic of conversation? What do you least like talking about?
- What do you think is the key to a successful relationship?
- When you first met your partner, what were your first impressions of that person?
- What’s the first memory that springs to mind when you think back on your wedding day?
- What’s the most valuable thing your parents taught you?
- What is one thing your children have taught you?
- What was your proudest moment as a parent?
Enjoy your conversation? You can turn your mum’s life story into a printed book that your family will treasure for generations. Click here to find out more about our process.
Josh Kates is the founder of A Life Untold (www.alifeuntold.com), a company with a mission to make it easy, fun and affordable to turn anyone’s life story into a captivating and professionally designed book.