Well, here we find ourselves at the start of a new year, following possibly the most significantly challenging one in our generations history. Dare I speak the name of the year that was 2020.
Following that calamity we have to ask ourselves, what are the consequences on our children’s mental health, consciously and subconsciously, in the short and long term.
It’s not been a topic that has been addressed a great deal, and that’s exactly what we are here to do today with our special guest Carolyn Seri, a general registered Psychologist.
Carolyn has worked in both the Government and Private sectors for over 15 years in a number of psychological settings including working with children, adolescents, adults and families and also psychological assessment. Carolyn has worked in a number of evidence based therapies including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Neurofeedback Therapy, Parenting Program (1-2-3 Magic Parenting) Circle of Security Program TM, EMDR, CBT, ACT and many other evidence based therapies.
We ask Carolyn questions including:
- Have you noticed an increase of children’s mental health presentations in your private practice in the last 12 months?
- How can parent’s best reflect with children on the year that was and the unknowns of the year ahead, do you have any tips?
- What are the pros and cons of the big life experiences COVID brought our children and their overall interpretation of the pandemic?
- How can parents use play to help your child cope with COVID and their return to the school year?
- What are the consequences if we dismiss children’s feelings?
- How can parent’s best approach situations that are not likely to have a positive outcome?
- What can parents say to help support their child if they have a valid reason to worry?
- In the situation, where a parent was never taught what empathy is, how can they best be empathetic to their own children? Where should they start in helping their children feel supported and loved?
- On the flip side, for a parent who was taught empathy as a child, could you please share your advice for them?
- What kind of issues would warrant a visit to a psychologist who works with children in light of COVID-19 and its impacts?
For Carolyn’s article, please go to: https://kiddipedia.com.au/psychologist-working-with-children-and-families/
For further details, please view: https://www.zingpinme.com/