by Elena Duggan (@elena_jo_duggan – 53.8k followers)
This is a treat for the whole family, it’s quick, easy and uses MSC Certified John West tuna. Make this delicious recipe for a summer afternoon snack for the family or whip it up for a summer BBQ party.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 x 415g tinned MSC certified John West tuna- well drained
500g White & sweet potatoes, steamed, cooled, loosely mashed
110g jar capers, well drained or 50g capers
1 bunch dill, leaves only, diced
5 lg spring onions, finely sliced
50g Gherkins, drained, finely diced
½ bunch chives, finely diced
50-100g GF breadcrumbs, to add as you go
3 eggs, lightly beaten
White pepper, to taste
Salt, Murray River, to taste
100g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Whole egg mayonnaise
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients except breadcrumbs.
- Add enough breadcrumbs to just combine, not so much to make the mixture dry and crumbly – alongside the egg they acting as a binder.
- Shape mixture into patties around 7cm in diameter, 4cm thick. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oil and butter to medium high in a large heavy based fry pan. Have cooling rack and paper towel on hand to drain excess oil.
- Fry until golden and flip once in batches until cooked through. Drain well and serve whilst hot and crunchy on the outside.
- Serve with mayonnaise for dipping, green salad or serve patties in lettuce cups.
Ensure all wet ingredients are well drained, use paper towel on capers, dill, onions, gherkins, chives if sieve isn’t sufficient.
Patties refrigerate well if in an airtight container, great for lunch snacks.