If your baby could talk, he or she would definitely tell you that nappy rash is no fun.
Nappy rash occurs around the backside – anywhere that’s usually covered in nappy. It’s particularly common around the edges of plastic-edged nappies, as these trap moisture against the skin.
You’ll notice red, raw skin around the area, and it might look spotty or scaly. Your baby will probably be irritable due to the itchiness and how uncomfortable your baby is due to the rash, so it’s good to do everything you can to prevent it in the first place.
Nappy rash occurs when the dampness is trapped against baby’s skin, and this area is rubbed or irritated by baby’s normal movements. Nappy rash can worsen if the area is also exposed to chemicals and products, or germs such as those found in baby’s bowel movements.
According to WebMD, nappy rash is most common in babies who are starting on solid foods, are wearing the wrong sized nappies, and aren’t kept clean and dry.
Here are 5 tips for preventing nappy rash.
1. Keep your baby’s bottom clean and dry! Changing nappies regularly will help prevent bacteria from multiplying in that area. Washing your baby with water or wiping with WaterWipes is usually all you need to do, and make sure to dry thoroughly before you change nappies.
2. Avoid using shampoo, soap, creams, or other products. Your baby’s skin is extremely sensitive and prone to rashes and allergic reactions. All products contain chemicals and ingredients that could cause a reaction in your baby. Most of the time, wiping with WaterWipes is all you need to do.
3. Pat your baby’s skin dry. Don’t rub it vigorously with a towel or wipe – this can irritate the skin and make it more likely to germs to establish there. Instead, pat with a light touch.
4. Check your nappies are the right size for your baby’s height, weight, and age. They don’t want to be too loose or too tight.
5. If your baby is still getting a lot of rashes, you could try alternating the brand of nappy you use. They may be having an allergic reaction to something in the material the nappy is made out of. If you use disposable nappies, you may like to try cloth nappies to see if these make a difference, or vice versa.
You can WIN 1 of 2 Water Wipes 3 Month Supply Packs (RRP $90)
To enter click here
and tell us
“What advice do you have for newborn parents?”
Competition closes midnight Friday 8th September / Winners announced Saturday 9th September 2017
Winner must also have ‘liked’ of Kiddipedia Facebook Page.
The most important thing to remember about nappy rash is that your child’s skin is extremely sensitive, so treat it with care. Try WaterWipes today!
You might also like to read: