Most parents know all too well the challenges of maintaining a clean and odour-free home when you have flying spaghetti, dirty little footprints and smelly nappies to contend with.
Parents are often time poor – and sleep deprived if there’s a newborn on the scene – so having a few tricks and hacks up your sleeve can make household upkeep that little bit easier.
Australian kitchen staple McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda is not only great for cooking, but it is also a non-toxic, affordable alternative for cleaning and removing odours from around the home.
Here are some of the most common ways to use McKenzie’s Bi-Carb –
To make a paste: Combine 3 tablespoons of McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda with 1 tablespoon water. Adjust for your desired consistency.
To make a solution: Dissolve 3 tablespoons of McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda in 1 litre of warm water.
For wiping: Apply McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda directly onto a damp sponge or cloth.
Below are some useful cleaning tips and tricks using McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda for busy parents.
- Baby stains odour removal – If your baby spits up on their or your clothes, moisten a cloth, dip it in Bi-Carb and dab at the stain. The odour will go away.
- Clean stuffed animals – Freshen stuffed toys with a sprinkling of Bi-Carb. Wait 15 minutes and then brush off.
- Relieves nappy rash – Add 1 tsp of Bi-Carb to a bowl of warm water and let your baby soak their bottom for a few minutes. Afterwards, don’t rinse and gently pat dry.
- Shoe Deodoriser – Sprinkle a small amount of dry Bi-Carb into your shoes to absorb smells. Shake out well before wearing.
- Car Deodoriser – Leave a small open packet of Bi-Carb in your car to absorb unpleasant smells. Replace every 3 months.
- Clean Baby Bottles – Safely clean baby bottles by placing 2 tsps of Bi-Carb into the bottle, pour in hot water, leave to soak then rinse well.
- Cleaning Kids Lunch Boxes – Use Bi-Carb solution to clean stained and smelly lunch boxes.
- Cleaning Baby Equipment – Safely clean your baby’s pram, playpen, car seat or high chair. Sprinkle Bi-Carb on a clean damp sponge and rub the item clean. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry.
- Remove Stubborn Stains on Carpets/Rugs – Sprinkle Bi-Carb over the stain, then moisten it with a little soda water and rub gently. Do not over-wet carpet/rug. Allow to dry, then vacuum clean.
You may also like to read: