Red Nose is encouraging Australians to help reduce the deaths of nine children a day to ZERO, by supporting Red Nose Day on Friday 29 June.
As a reminder:
Red Nose advises there’s 6 ways to sleep your baby safely and reduce the risk of sudden and unexpected death in infancy:
- Sleep your baby on his/her back (sleeping baby on their side or tummy increases the risk of sudden infant death).
- Keep your baby’s head and face uncovered.
- Keep your baby smoke free before and after birth.
- Ensure a safe sleeping environment both day and night (have a safe cot that meets the current Australian standards; a safe mattress that is clean, firm, flat and the right size for the cot; avoid soft surfaces and bulky bedding such as pillows, cot bumpers, lamb’s wool, soft toys, doonas).
- Sleep your baby in a safe cot in the parent’s room (not in the parent’s bed, not on the couch or beanbags, not wedged between pillows).
- Breastfeed your baby where possible. Breastfeeding reduces the risk of gastrointestinal and respiratory infections and can reduce the risk of SIDS.
Now in its 30th year, Red Nose Day is fundamental in highlighting the devastating reality that each year in Australia over 3,200 babies and children die suddenly and unexpectedly – with causes including stillbirth, SIDS and fatal sleep accidents.
While huge progress has been made by Red Nose since its inception in 1977, there is still a long way to go, and funds raised through Red Nose Day activities enable them to continue their work saving the lives of babies and children during pregnancy, infancy and childhood, supporting bereaved families, and strengthening their research and education programs.
Red Nose can’t do it alone, and so they’re calling on supporters to pledge, “I’m in,” and get involved with Red Nose Day in a variety of ways. By purchasing a red nose or other Red Nose Day product, making a donation, hosting a children’s fundraising disco or setting up an online fundraising page, you’ll be aiding Red Nose in their mission to reduce the number of deaths of Australian babies and children from nine per day to ZERO.
This year Red Nose Day products include a brand new disco-loving, adorable plush toy character, DJ Daisy, who will join red-hot favourites Leroy Lyrics, Sally Sunshine and Katie Cakes. Also available to purchase will be pens, wristbands, pins and key rings to show your support.
Of course, the iconic red noses will be available, along with larger versions of the red nose designed for your car and even an enormous one for your truck!
All these products will be available to purchase from Big W, Target, CUA and other leading retailers as well as online at rednoseday.com.au.
Want to get involved? Here’s how:
Buy any Red Nose Day product
- Donate via the website at www.rednoseday.com.au
- Set up an online fundraising page at https://www.everydayhero.com.au/event/RedNoseDay2017
- Host a Little Rockers Red Nose Disco – presented by iHeartRadio. Register at https://rednoseday.com.au/get-involved/schools-and-child-care-centres
- Post a selfie or boomerang video wearing a red nose and tag @rednosedayaustralia (Instagram) or @rednoseAus (Facebook) and #ninetozero #rednosedayoz
Written by Sarah Morrissey, founder of Little Rockers Radio, Mum of two and aunty to an angel.
You might also like to read: