Make these fun cupcakes with the kids! They’re bright and colourful on the inside and pretty on the outside! – Bettina Jenkins, Culinary Expert from Appliances Online
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 18mins
Recipe writer: Bettina Jenkins
125g unsalted butter, softened (can use salted if unsalted not available)
1 tsp vanilla essence
¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
1 ½ cups (225g) self-raising flour, sifted
¾ cup (190ml) milk
½ cup rainbow sprinkle or hundreds and thousands
250g salted butter, chopped and softened
170g tube (or ½ can) sweetened condensed milk
¾ cup (165g) icing sugar mixture
Food colouring of choice
12 white chocolate solid Easter eggs, unwrapped
Extra rainbow sprinkles, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced . Grease a 12-hole, ⅓ cup (80ml) muffin pan with spray oil.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk in 2 batches, mixing until well combined. Add rainbow sprinkles and mix well.
- Divide mixture evenly among muffin holes. Place in the oven and cook for 15-18 minutes or until golden and cooked though. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, use electric beaters to beat the butter in a bowl until pale and creamy, occasionally scraping down the side of the bowl with a spatula. With the beaters running at a low speed, slowly add the condensed milk; mix well. Add icing sugar and mix for 2 minutes or until well combined. Tint with colour of choice and mix well.
- Transfer frosting to a large piping bag fitted with a star nozzle; pipe onto cupcakes. Sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles and top with an Easter egg.
- This recipe can be easily doubled to make 24 cupcakes
- Sprinkle cupcakes with any toppings, including chocolate sprinkles and top with chocolate Easter eggs
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature just before serving