Discovering you’re going to be a parent for the first time is one fo the most thrilling and exciting moments in your life. The start of a new chapter filled with a world of first’s and brand new experiences.
Everybody wants to be the best parent they can be, and give their child the life they deserve. So, naturally you look to source information and advice to help.
To help, we speak with Belinda Joyce, a midwife, maternal & child health nurse with over 20 years experience. Belinda has worked with thousands of parents and newborns during childbirth education, prenatal, labour, birth, postnatal and special care nursery.
In this interview Belinda shares credible, evidence based information with her Top 10 Tips when having your first baby. We also discuss her book ‘Survive and Enjoy Your Baby’.
We ask Belinda questions including:
- What are the most common challenges new parents face?
- In your 20 year career so far, how have you seen parental duties change?
- What prompted you to write a book for new parents? What sort of information is included in the book? and what motivated you to write it?
- If you were to boil it down to a single piece of advice you could give to any couple expecting their first baby, what would it be?
- We ask 20 of the most common questions new parents ask in a rapid fire round:
- How should parents care for a newborn baby?
- Can parents get out and about with their baby during the pandemic?
- Which nursery equipment do I need before the birth?
- How often should a baby be eating?
- How can you tell if a baby is getting enough breastmilk? How long should a mum breastfeed their baby?
- If parents decided to use formula, how do they know which one should they use?
- At what age should a baby be eating what the parents are eating?
- Should parents sterilize bottles and dummies after every use?
- My baby seems to cry a lot. What is considered to be normal?
- How should parents sleep their baby?
- How do parents know if they should wake up their baby to feed them?
- What is considered normal sleeping? What constitutes sleeping through the night?
- Tips for parents with sleep deprivation
- When do baby need vaccines?
- How do I know when it is safe to go outdoors with my baby?
- What is considered an emergency and how do parents know in what cases they should call a doctor?
- Is it okay to hold your newborn baby all the time?
- If Babies have weird coloured poo, what does that mean?
- How should parents play with their baby?
- Tips for returning back to work
For Belinda’s full article go to: https://kiddipedia.com.au/top-tips-when-having-your-first-baby/
For more information please go to: belindajoyce.com